More Shakes Island photos and updates on Facebook

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Vanessa Pazar on Adzing Patterns

Excerpt from Interview with Vanessa Pazar:
I’ve watched them (the other adzers in the shed) so closely that you know when they’re having a bad day, they’re distracted or tired or not feeling well…My hope is that 70 years from now there’s going be a group of people looking at our clan house who will be able to point out who’s adzing is what. I know that in my studies of the clan house, Chief Shakes clan house, there are different patterns of different adzes. Wayne suspects there might be people that came in for a short amount of time and then left. But…I have 3 different adzes that I use and my spacing and my rows are the same but the mark is different. So, I wonder who will notice that. It’s really hard to pick out the different adzes though. You have to know what you’re looking for as far as what the differences are, the different marks of the adze. [The new adzers’ patterns have] changed even from a week ago... They’ve come so far. I’m really proud of them. Even from last Friday, their patterns have changed that dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment